NAKURU, KENYA 31ST DECEMBER 2014 – It is the end yet another eventful and in some ways challenging year; a year that signifies another critical milestone along our development as Nakuru County.
More importantly, however we look at it, it’s my belief that we are ending 2014 better off, and definitely far better off than we were 2 years ago.
As a County we have made significant progress in various sectors including improving health care, rural development, security, agriculture, infrastructure and the general expansion of access to basic services.
With all this, we all know that various challenges remain, but with each passing year, we are committed to seeing our county moves forward, towards a better life for all.
2014 was a year of great achievements, our accomplishments as individuals, as diverse communities, as a county are many.
That’s why we have managed to live peacefully embracing values of fairness, democracy, and diversity in a county that is prosperous and blessed with a rich natural environment.
Therefore, each of us has something unique and important to offer, and the New Year presents an opportune time to commit to giving back to Nakuru County.
As we forge ahead, we will undoubtedly face numerous obstacles and challenges. The very fabric of our existence will be put to the test; but I believe in the ability of the Nakuru people, and I believe we will emerge from these experiences, a stronger and better people.
Some of the key focus areas among others that the County Government of Nakuru has earmarked to enhance in the coming year for the development of our county include;
· Establishment of a partnership with Geothermal Development Company (GDC) to ensure that the energy generated benefits the residents of Nakuru County. This will go a long way in reducing the cost of energy and the regular blackouts that would otherwise be experienced.
· Instituting a proper management of existing dumpsites as well as planning to buy new dump sites by engaging private partners and exploring ways of converting waste to wealth.
· Ongoing funding for establishment and construction of the ECDs Centers and Polytechnics for our Youths.
· Continued efforts to fully deal with the Maize Lethal Necrosis Disease in Nakuru County
· Initiating Public Private Partnerships with banking institutions to provide credit packages specifically targeting agricultural sector.
· Enhance road maintenance across the entire county including the full implementation of the “Mulika Mwizi” street lighting program as we develop the 24 hour economy.
· Launching the County Strategic Plan in early 2015.
· The implementation of the county spatial plan
· Implementation of the digital topographical mapping and preparation of strategic integrated urban development plans for Naivasha and Nakuru ongoing.
For our development 2015 has to be the year that we put aside our differences and embrace the common good.
We have built strong partnerships in various sectors and laid a firm foundation to improve infrastructure development.
We have many individuals, organizations and companies that are working tirelessly and are seriously committed to the building of this county, but we need each person, to become a part of Team Nakuru: the Team which vows to achieve the vision of making our County a safe place in which to live, conduct business.
With our good fortune comes great responsibility: to help and care for one another; to preserve the values that define us; to be innovative and progressive; to act as good stewards of our precious county. Let us make a concerted effort to recognize and highlight what is good and great about our county in 2015, and play our part, to make Nakuru County succeed.
I take this moment to commend all our civil servants for the work that they have done in this past year in managing the affairs of our County and would ask that you continue to commit yourselves to furthering the development of these beautiful county in the coming year.
The County Government of Nakuru will embark on all programmes for 2015 resolutely, that will lead to consolidation, transformation and form the basis for sustainable development of our county.
Me, my family and the Staff of the County Government of Nakuru wish a happy and prosperous New Year for all the people of Nakuru County and the people of the Kenya as a whole.
I thank you, and God Bless.